Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Post-tornado update

Hello everyone! I just wanted to post a tornado update and let you know what's going on. A huge tornado struck my parents neighborhood and pretty much leveled everything. I think maybe a couple homes survived. Everyone in the neighborhood was okay thanks to the families that have storm shelters. Anyone with a storm shelter made sure to grab those who didn't and it made all the difference! As far as I know a young boy is still missing from a couple miles over, so please pray they find him soon and that he is alright.

My parents home was decimated, but thankfully most of the areas holding valuables were miraculously saved. It's so strange to see the roof caved in and walls bent in directions they weren't meant to be next to spots that are almost completely intact. For instance, the roof is gone over it, but my Mom's prized antique mirror was still hanging on the living room wall looking just fine and dandy!



It's times like these that remind me how great our family, friends, state, and church truly are. Mom, Shaun, and I received literally dozens of calls and texts checking to make sure they were okay. Half of my Mom's side of the family showed up and helped us move a bunch of stuff out of the house. Have I mentioned how amazing my family is? Because they are!

On a street already crowded with about 30 more cars than it can handle, people were showing up to gawk, clog traffic, and take photos, but at the same time there were also people showing up to be great samaritans. Trucks with horse trailers poured in to take all the horses on the block to safer spots. One was limping and had a pretty serious-looking gash but her leg wasn't broken, so she should be fine! I was glad to see people doing so much to help.

On a more serious note, this blog is also to honor a life lost yesterday. Laron Short was killed by the tornado in Chickasha and will be sorely missed. She was a graduate of USAO, my Editor-in-Chief at The Trend, and one of the most unique individuals I've ever met. She had been living in Australia and had just returned to Oklahoma on Monday. She was not a Christian, and that stabs me right in the heart. Please pray for Laron's friends and family, that God may stir their hearts and draw them to Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment