Sunday, January 23, 2011

Salt and light

“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:13-16

I used to wonder why I was drawn to certain places, people, events. Why my heart goes out to certain circumstances and the people in them. Then I read Matthew 5:13-16 with new eyes. What good is a candle in a brightly lit room? A little bit, maybe. However, put that candle in darkness, and people draw to it like moths. I'm looking for darkness and praying for ways to light it. When Christians cluster together in their churches, waiting for unbelievers to come to them, they're missing the point. Jesus commanded us to go, not to hang out together thinking opportunities will come find us. The darkness consumes everything around us with wild abandon when we hide our light in the basket of the church building.


If we're not out in the world shining the light of the gospel through our words and actions then we disgrace our Savior. How can they know the joy and peace of Jesus Christ if we don't show them? When I was younger I didn't understand how my passions in this life were all to be used for God's glory. At least, I didn't comprehend that each could be used as a witnessing tool. Now that I understand, every time I have a band over to my house to hang out or go to a concert and mingle with fans, I know that it's my chance to show them the narrow road.


I trip over my words a lot when I speak to people, but it's always easy to do something that opens a door to speak with them. It's amazing how I'll get these urges and notions to do something without really understanding how God is going to use that action. Sometimes it's as easy as baking cookies. Little actions, little services done for others. I used to think of servanthood as a series of actions done with the mindset "have to serve. Have to serve." Now I realize that when you truly want to serve God and people, it doesn't feel like servitude at all. It feels like a warm glow inside. That's probably one of the most sappy things I've ever said in my mostly sap-less life, but it's entirely true.

I baked a whole bunch of cookies for some of our band friends this weekend, and when I gave them the cookies I made they were so excited. You would've thought it was Christmas morning. Being able to give people that feeling with such a simple gesture astounds me and drives me to do more. It's those moments that open doors in the hearts of others.


"...to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you." - 1 Corinthians 9:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment