Sunday, October 10, 2010

Legacies

This weekend we picked up all of Mrs. Lawrence's swords and her dance stage to take to my house. Mrs. L has been teaching dance classes in her studio/garage since 1965, and she's had the stage since 1970.

This stage has been the platform for at least one dance competition, numerous medal tests, and hundreds of dancers. She's taught several world champions, numerous national champions, and a host of other fine dancers. This stage has seen dance history in the making, and it's the place I feel most at home.

Throughout the years I've pounded out my joys and frustrations on that stage. I remember learning the Strathspey and Half Tulloch in Mrs. L's studio and constantly saying "corner, corner, front, corner" to myself. I remember making Mrs. L laugh at the way I kept messing up the arm movements for the Hornpipe.

Now the stage is mine. More memories will be made and Scottish dance will carry on.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Always will say "corner corner front corner " when I do a Strathspey <3

    ReplyDelete