Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The adventures of a first pregnancy - things I've learned along the way

Crib salespeople are scary. Like...used car salesman scary. Walk into Storkland, I dare you. You. Will. Be. Mobbed. There's no saying "I'm just browsing." Nuh uh. They don't believe you. Thankfully our dream crib happened to be at Room to Dream, where the saleswomen aren't pushy. Still slightly intimidating for someone like me...but not pushy.

Registering is also scary. There's too many important decisions! What kind of bottles do you choose? Will baby be given pacifiers? How do you pick those? What the heck is buttpaste, and who came up with that name?

Your entire body will rebel against you. I sat down on the floor this morning with my Macbook, and when I decided to get up I couldn't. Not because I'm front-heavy, but because my hips decided they were not going to cooperate. Almost destroyed my computer in the process. Sleep is basically non-existent, and don't get me started on the rib pain.

Birthing class will scar you for life. I knew they'd probably show some disturbing videos, but I still wasn't prepared. The lovely, early-90s videos featured women who looked distinctly like men, and I saw things. Awful things. Animations are fine. Diagrams are even better. But for pete's sake, keep the videos away from me.

People you hardly know will want to touch you. Now, I'm fine with hugs and high fives and such, but random people touching my stomach is a little weird.

Baby kicks are the sweetest thing in the world...until 2 a.m. Then, they become a reminder that you're probably not going to sleep at night for months lol.

There are a lot of references in the Bible you never truly understand until you're on your way to becoming a parent. The bond between a parent and baby (even one who isn't born yet) has deepened my understanding of the Father's love for us in a profound and moving way.

There's plenty more on my list of things I've learned along the way, but that's a small sampling  to start off with! Moms (and dads), what did you learn with your first pregnancy?

No comments:

Post a Comment